Thus says YHVH "Stand in the old ways, the ancient paths and see and ask where the good way is and walk in it; and you shall find rest for your souls."-Jeremiah 6:16

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Giver, Not The Gift

Yesterday I was feeding Liam some sweet potato. He was really enjoying it and as I was giving him a spoonful I noticed how he was gazing at me as I fed him, his eyes bright and beaming with intent trust. His eyes never looked at the spoon or the bowl, but stayed soley on me; watching my expressions sure that whatever I was giving him was good. It reminded me of somthing I read about a certain Native American culture, that when they recieved a gift, they did not open or inspect it in front of the giver, but looked into their eyes and expressed deep gratitude. Sometimes I think I forget that...it's not the gift that is important. It is the giver. The heart of someone who exerts effort to bless you, to help you, to care for you...that is something of great value.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!